If your property is going to be left vacant for an extended period of time then you should consider a specialist vacant property insurance policy. If you want to protect your property and in some cases your possessions whilst still having the flexibility to leave your property vacant, we are confident we can quote for you.


Pay only for the time you need & no cancellation or hidden fees!

If you want to speak to us at any time during your quote, just hit the LiveChat option bottom right and you’ll be connected with an insurance expert to guide you through.

Our policies can include

  • Buildings cover up to £1.5million
  • Contents cover up to £150,000*
  • Full buildings cover for the whole policy term available*
  • Trace & Access cover up to £5000*
  • Cover for theft, malicious damage & vandalism up to 45 days*
  • Damage by squatters*
  • Cover for fire, flood, storm*
  • Switch back from vacant to occupied during the policy term
  • Ability to cancel before the end of the policy
  • 24/7 claims line & support


Flexible policy term – Cancel at any time!

Many of our customers who take out cover for a vacant property only need short-term cover. Therefore with CoverBuilder you can cancel at any time with no cancellation costs. You simply call us and we’ll pro-rata your premium and refund any overpaid premium to you regardless if you pay monthly or in full. Learn more about our cancellation promise.

*As CoverBuilder uses a panel of insurance companies to offer our home insurance, cover options do vary by policy. We highly recommend checking the policy wording of your chosen insurer before submitting your policy request.


Chat online with an insurance expert

Often insurance can involve more complex situations and circumstances, therefore we have our insurance experts standing by to help you through a vacant home insurance quote.

Scenarios we cover that can lead to a vacant property

Whilst the majority of customers who take out our vacant property insurance request that it’s just buildings only, we do offer the ability to quote including contents on many scenarios – remember you can speak to us instantly via LiveChat and you can connect with an expert in seconds. Our cover is designed to protect your property when it is probably at its most vulnerable.


Vacant property insurance online quote

We’ve specifically designed our website to allow you to quote for more specialist risks, such as vacant property, easily and without having to go through all your information over the phone. You can get a quote and buy directly online within minutes. Let our website do the heavy work for you, our vacant home insurance comparison of insurance policies let you pick a quote for your specific requirements from our panel of top UK insurance specialists.


Reasons to choose CoverBuilder for Home Insurance

  1. Our quotes are 100% online meaning no lengthy phone call referrals
  2. Competitive vacant home insurance cost policies
  3. Wide range of acceptance criteria
  4. Instant online decision & acceptance
  5. Standard policy excesses apply unless otherwise stated in policy documents
  6. Instant Cover

Understanding more about vacant property home insurance

As it stands today, there are over half a million unoccupied properties right across the UK, the highest rate for over two decades. An empty home is not only a thieves paradise but is also susceptible to damages caused by adverse weather conditions, squatters sheltering in the property, and vandals maliciously damaging your most prized possession. If your property is going to be unoccupied for any length of time, you should take a look through our vacant property section below.

Unoccupied property insurance definition

Vacant Property Insurance

Generally, mainstream insurers define a vacant property as any property that is vacant for 30 consecutive days or more. If this is likely to be the case for your property, it is vital that you inform your insurer. Failure to do so may result in your home insurance policy becoming void.

Short-term home insurance

Some Customers may be looking for cover for a very specific amount of time and potentially for a very limited timeframe. Whilst at this time we don’t have a specific short-term policy, our dedicated vacant property policy can be set up and then cancelled at any point after the initial cooling off period of 14 days. There is no cancellation fee throughout the entire policy term and we will organise a pro-rata refund of the remaining premium. Therefore, you are only paying for the period of time on cover with us.

Vacant home insurance over 30, 45, 60, 90 days

Some insurance companies offer customers the ability to extend the vacant property coverage within their policy. Often this is done in the form of ‘bolt on’ cover that is an extra cost to the basic premium. When taking out a policy designed to cover a period of unoccupied, we strongly suggest understanding how long a term (in one go) is permitted.

Insurance unoccupied house owner deceased

In the unfortunate situation where the original home insurance policyholder of the property has died, a new policy will be required to cover the property until the ownership of the property is decided. Cover will be required for the existing contents within the property and the protection of the buildings.

Is there anything I can do to lower the premium for my vacant house insurance?

There are measures that you can put in place to lower the cost of your vacant property insurance. Firstly we recommend that you install the appropriate security devices inside and outside of your home. This includes things such as secure locks on all exterior doors and windows. You should also install a working burglar alarm. Factors that may increase the cost of your premium include the inadequate security devices or a property of substantial value.

Changing from vacant to occupied during the term of the policy

There are a number of reasons for the occupancy status of the property changing during the policy term. As a specialist vacant property company, we can work with you to amend the policy to your specific needs. If you need to change the type of policy during the term of insurance, this is possible.

We accept both variations during the policy term;
  • Property vacant and subsequently switching to occupied
  • Property occupied and subsequently switching to vacant

In these scenarios, you would need to notify us of the change in occupancy status and we will update the policy for you.

Unoccupied and waiting for sale

If you are currently selling your property you may have already moved out fo the property and are waiting for a buyer. In these situations, you are likely to need this specialist cover. With the time it will take to sell the property being unknown, from months to potential over a year, it is important you have a policy that can accommodate this unknown span of time.

Cheap vacant property insurance

As we’ve outlined above, our dedicated home insurance for vacant properties allows us to offer you extremely competitive premiums for this type of situation. Get a quote with us now and you can have your property protected within minutes.

Understand what is covered

We strongly recommend reading the details of the quote we provide you before taking out insurance. In some scenarios the insurers we work with will put specific stipulations within the policy to allow them to quote for your specific situation. These stipulations do vary and are influenced by a number of factors. Therefore, reading the policy wording and any exclusions is a must before accepting the terms of insurance.

Building’s cover as a condition of your mortgage

You may find that in the terms and condition of your mortgage that cover for the building is a minimal requirement. In these situations declaring your property is vacant is vital to understand what you need to do next.

How to reduce the risk of an incident with an unoccupied property

An unoccupied property is going to be more of a target for thieves, vandals, and squatters. This is going to be down to the fact that there is less vigilance and deterrence at the property. With that in mind, we’ve created some useful tips to help keep your property safe when you’re not there to protect it:


1) Maintain your property

Some of the top telltale signs that a property has been left vacant for some time are an overgrown garden, the buildup of mail and newspapers, flaky external paintwork and broken glass. It is therefore recommended that you maintain the property on a regular basis to avoid giving off any impression that your property is vacant.


2) Arrange checks by your neighbour or local contact

If for whatever reason, you are unable to check up on the property regularly, we suggest that you contact a neighbour or other trustworthy source that may be able to visit the home on a regular basis on your behalf. This contact needn’t be the policyholder, so long as the checks are taking place frequently. There are numerous neighbourhood watch schemes that can help secure your property while you’re away. Find out more here


3) Install the necessary security measures

It is vital that you check your insurance policy to familiarise yourself with any clauses in your insurance contract. Some insurers will require the installation of specific high safety rated locks. It is also highly recommended that your property is equipped with a sound working burglar alarm and in some cases CCTV, particularly if thieves have historically targeted the area. Any items of high value should also be removed from the property since they are unlikely to be covered by your home insurance policy.

Vacant home insurance guide

We’ve put together a comprehensive guide to vacant home insurance. This walks through all the steps required to insure your property and keep your investment safe. Click here to learn more.