Protecting Your Unoccupied Home

no cancellation fee unoccupied home insurance

If your property is going to be left unoccupied for an extended period of time then you should consider a specialist unoccupied home insurance policy. If you want to protect your property and possessions whilst still having the flexibility to leave it unoccupied, we are confident we can quote for you.

Pay only for the time you need & no cancellation or hidden fees!

If you want to speak to us at any time during your quote, just hit the LiveChat option bottom right. You’ll then be connected with an insurance expert to guide you through.

  • Buildings cover up to £1.5million
  • Contents cover up to £150,000*
  • Full buildings cover for the whole policy term available*
  • Trace & Access cover up to £5000*
  • Cover for theft, malicious damage & vandalism up to 45 days*
  • Damage by squatters*
  • Cover for fire, flood, storm*
  • Switch back from unoccupied to occupied during the policy term
  • Ability to cancel before the end of the policy and get a pro-rata refund
  • 24/7 claims line & support

Cancelling before the end of the policy

Many of our customers who take out cover for an empty property only need short term cover. We have therefore made sure you can cancel before the end of the policy. Simply call us and we’ll pro-rata your premium and refund any overpaid amount to you regardless if you pay monthly or in full. There is a no cancellation charge, even if you cancel after the 14 day cooling off period.



*CoverBuilder uses a panel of underwriters to offer our home insurance so cover options do vary by policy. We highly recommend checking the policy wording of your chosen insurer before submitting.
  • Customer service review CoverBuilder home insurance

Unoccupied home insurance online quote

Our website has been designed to allow specialised risks to be fully quoted online. This means no lengthy phone calls and a straightforward process. Your quote can be generated within minutes, with our website doing the heavy work for you. You will be able to pick from a selection of quotes from our panel of top UK insurance underwriters.

What will be covered when I take out unoccupied home insurance?

Most people will choose to take out cover for buildings only at their unoccupied home. However, we know that one size does not fit all. So we can also offer combined buildings and contents policies. Our cover is designed to protect your property when it is at its most vulnerable.

The following are examples of situations that may cause your property to be unoccupied and that are covered by us:


Reasons to choose CoverBuilder for Home Insurance

We work with a panel of underwriters who provide exclusive cover for unoccupied homes. The quote and purchase processes for our policies have been designed with customers in mind. It has been made as simple as possible to make the process smooth and easy. The benefits of the CoverBuilder system include:

  1. Our quotes are 100% online meaning no lengthy phone call referrals
  2. Offering competitive rates for those with a vacant property
  3. Wide range of acceptance criteria
  4. Instant online decision & acceptance
  5. Standard policy excesses apply unless otherwise stated in policy documents
  6. Instant Cover

Learning more about unoccupied home insurance

The level of unoccupied properties across the UK is at its highest rate in over two decades. Over half a million properties are currently sitting empty. There are a number of issues that can particularly affect an unoccupied property. They can be a huge target for thieves and can be affected by adverse weather conditions. Other issues include malicious damage caused by vandals or even squatters moving in and taking over the property. If your property is likely to be unoccupied for any length of time then read on to find out more about how it can be best protected.

Unoccupied home insurance definition

Unoccupied Home insurance

Insurers will generally define an unoccupied property as any home that is vacant for 30 consecutive days or more. If this is likely to be the case for your property, then it is vital you inform your insurer as soon as you become aware. This is because if this is not disclosed to your insurer and you later make a claim, this could be turned down. Worse still, your whole policy could be voided.

Short-term home insurance

With unoccupied properties, the customer may be looking to cover their home for a very specific period of time. Sometimes this is just a few months. At present we can only offer 12-month policies and are not able to offer specific short-term cover. However, our dedicated unoccupied policy can be set up and then cancelled at any time with no cancellation fee. When this policy is cancelled a pro-rata refund of the remaining premium will be processed back to you. This ensures you are only paying for the period of time on cover with us.


Insurance for an unoccupied home when the owner is deceased

Where the original home insurance policyholder of the property has died, the current insurer will need to be informed. Either they will be able to amend their cover or a new policy will be required to cover the property. This will be necessary at least until probate is settled and the new ownership of the property is confirmed. Cover is needed both to protect the building itself and any existing contents that may be left there, even temporarily.

Lowering the premium for unoccupied home insurance

There are certain steps that can be taken by property owners to ensure that their insurance quote is as competitive as possible. It is strongly recommended to install appropriate security devices inside and outside of your home. This includes secure locks on all exterior doors and windows and installing and using a working burglar alarm. Factors such as insufficient security devices or a particularly high-value home can drive up your premium significantly.

Changing the occupancy status during the course of the policy

Properties can quickly change from occupied to unoccupied and vice versa during the course of an insurance policy. As a specialist unoccupied property company, we can work flexibly with you to amend the policy. This ensures that it meets your specific needs. If you need to change the occupancy status during the term of insurance, this is possible.

We accept both variations during the policy term;
  • Property unoccupied and subsequently switching to occupied
  • Property occupied and subsequently switching to unoccupied

In these scenarios, you would need to notify us as soon as possible that the occupancy at the property has changed and we will then update the policy for you.

Unoccupied whilst awaiting sale

If you are currently selling your property you may have already found your dream new home and taken up residence there. This means that your existing property is likely to have been left unoccupied. With the time it will take to sell the property being unknown, from months to potentially over a year, it is important you have a policy that can accommodate this unknown span of time.

Cheap unoccupied property insurance

As we’ve outlined above, our dedicated home insurance for unoccupied properties allows us to offer you extremely competitive premiums for this type of situation. Get a quote with us now and you can have your property protected within minutes.

What is covered?

We strongly recommend reading the details of the quote we provide you before taking out insurance. In some scenarios, the insurers we work with will put specific stipulations within the policy to allow them to quote for your specific situation. These stipulations do vary and are influenced by a number of factors so reading the policy wording and any exclusions is a must before accepting the terms of insurance.

Building’s cover as a condition of your mortgage

You may find that in the terms and condition of your mortgage that obtaining buildings insurance is a stipulation of the loan. In these situations declaring that your property is unoccupied is vital to ensure that you do not fall foul of the terms of your mortgage by having insufficient insurance.

Reducing the risk at your unoccupied property

An unoccupied property is going to be more of a target for thieves, vandals, and squatters. This is going to be down to the fact that there is less vigilance and deterrence at the property. With that in mind, we’ve created some useful tips to help keep your property safe when you’re not there to protect it:


1) Maintain your property

Some of the top telltale signs that a property has been left unoccupied for some time are an overgrown garden, the buildup of mail and newspapers, flaky external paintwork and broken glass. Your property should be maintained on a regular basis. This avoids giving off an impression that your property is vacant.


2) Arrange checks by your neighbour or local contact

If for whatever reason, you are unable to check up on the property regularly, we suggest that you contact a neighbour or other trustworthy source that may be able to visit the home on a regular basis on your behalf. This contact needn’t be the policyholder, so long as the checks are taking place frequently. There are numerous neighbourhood watch schemes that can help secure your property while you’re away. Find out more here


3) Install the necessary security measures

It is vital that you check your insurance policy to familiarise yourself with any clauses in your insurance contract. Some insurers will require the installation of specific high safety rated locks. It is also highly recommended that your property is equipped with a sound working burglar alarm and in some cases CCTV, particularly if thieves have historically targeted the area. Any items of high value should also be removed from the property, as there are unlikely to be covered by your home insurance policy.

Comprehensive unoccupied home insurance [GUIDE]

We’ve put together a comprehensive guide to unoccupied home insurance. This walks through all the steps required to insure your property and keep your investment safe. Click here to learn more.

Get your unoccupied online quote now