What is Trace and Access cover and do I need it?

At CoverBuilder we include Trace and Access cover automatically as part of our Buildings insurance policies. Often overlooked as a critical cover, trace and access can be simply described as the process of finding where a leak is coming from. This could be in the form of water, gas or oil.

It can sometimes be obvious what the source of the damage is (for example if you can see where the water is leaking from the pipe). In other situations, the only evidence that something is seriously wrong could be the smell of gas or wet walls and ceilings.

Getting to the source of a leak can often be an expensive and disruptive process. This is why having this cover can prove so invaluable. Trace and access cost can often become very high, running into thousands of pounds.

With a generous limit of £5000 per claim to find the source of the leak, your CoverBuilder Trace and Access cover will ensure that you can get your home back up and running as soon as possible.

As this cover is included as standard within our buildings insurance, you don’t need to do anything to add it to your quote.

Benefits of CoverBuilder Trace and Access Cover:

  • Automatically included as part of your buildings insurance.
  • Cover for up to £5000 in order to trace the source of the leak.
  • 24/7 claims helpline
  • Cover for underground pipes and cables as well as internal plumbing
  • Cover includes sourcing the damage and also repairing any walls or floors that are damaged in the process.


What is trace and access cover


Trace and access cover is often overlooked as a vital cover within your home insurance. The above illustration explains the difficulties in tracking where a leak can come from.

  1. A leak is detected from the kitchen sink. For example, damp has started to form on the back wall and behind the sink unit.
  2. After closer inspection, you can see that there is a lot of moisture forming on the wall. After turning off the stopcock the water is still collecting behind the unit. This means there is a leak in the pipework from the main stopcock to the kitchen sink. The options are therefore 3 or 4 to establish where the leak is.
  3. As the pipes are within the wall they either have to be revealed by the removal of the outer wall section. This is always a task that leads to significant disruption, of the walls are plasterboard it can be easier to repair afterward.
  4. If it is thought the leak is forming under the floor and causing moisture to rise then contractors will need to dig down into the floor. This will reveal the pipework and allow them to check it. Again, a task that leads to significant disruption.

Illustration of trace and access