What is Tenant Liability Insurance?

Tenants liability insurance definition

This is cover against accidental damage to your landlord’s fixtures, fittings, and any contents; within the property that you are liable for under the terms of your tenancy agreement. In the event that you accidentally damage your landlord’s property, you have the policy to be able to claim against, up to the value of cover you select.

Examples of accidental damage where you would claim against a Tenant Liability insurance policy

  • Broken windows
  • Broken banister
  • Cracked basin/toilet
  • Carpet spillage
  • Smashed/broken oven hob
  • Hole in wall/ceiling
  • Ripped pipework

How much cover does Tenant Liability Insurance cover provide and how much is it?

Providers offer from £2,500 to £10,000 of cover for accidental damage to the landlord’s fixtures and fittings. Depending on the level of cover you choose prices are generally around the £100 per year premium for the top level of cover.


What does tenants liability insurance cover


Tenant liability insurance with optional contents cover

There are providers who offer tenants liability cover combined with a contents insurance policy. This can help you save on the combined costs.


Will tenants contents insurance cover landlords fixtures fittings? Is tenant damage covered by insurance?

Living room at tenanted property

In short, no, tenants contents is designed purely to cover the tenant(s) belongings that they have a financial interest in i.e they own, against damage, theft, fire or loss. This is where Tenant Liability Insurance comes in as part of or to boost an existing contents only policy.

What insurance does a tenant need?

As a tenant, you will only be responsible for insuring your contents, irrespective of the furniture and fixtures the landlord provides as part of your tenancy agreement. The landlord will be responsible for any buildings insurance and any contents insurance for the items included in the tenancy agreement. The landlord should also be responsible for any home emergency cover policy in place.

Foot through ceiling covered by accidental damage

Do you have to have tenant insurance?

Whilst there is no legal stipulation that a person renting a property must have tenants contents insurance, some letting/estate agencies and independent landlords will stipulate it as a requirement in the tenancy agreement. This insurance will only cover items that you have a financial interest in e.g. furniture and contents you own. As a tenant, you, therefore, need to make a decision on whether to rent the property knowing you will have to evidence the insurance you have in place.


Check-in & Check-out Reports and Inventories

When moving into a property it is highly advisable to spend a good amount of time, thoroughly checking the property against the inventory and condition report. Following these two main tips will aid in any future tenancy deposit dispute.

  1. When it comes to successfully getting your deposit back in full, the first step is to make sure any damage, significant wear and tear and other items of the poor condition are recorded and counter-signed by the agent or landlord.
  2. Take comprehensive photos of all these areas of concern and the rest of the property and grounds you are responsible for as part of your agreement.
  3. Understand what your responsibilities are when it comes to maintaining the condition of the property. For example, many properties have garden areas. It is advisable to know the expectations upon handing the property back to the agent/landlord. Take photographs of the current condition
  4. Keep evidence of any items or services you paid for in the upkeep of your rental property. Whilst you should never need to act on behalf of the landlord/agent, if you do pay for anything then document it and keep the receipts.


Financial advisor working on laptop

Tenancy deposit dispute advice

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) is a government-approved tenancy deposit protection scheme in England and Wales operated by The Dispute Service Ltd. The Housing Act 2004 requires landlords and letting agents to protect deposits on assured shorthold tenancies in a scheme such as this. Insurance-backed tenancy deposit protection is available through most reputable agents with free, impartial dispute resolution for when disagreements arise over how the money is divided.

Click here for more information on renting with the security of a TDS deposit scheme.

Tenancy deposit scheme dispute application form

Click here for information and to download a dispute application form.

Home contents insurance for renters

As a tenant, your landlord will usually be responsible for insuring the building in which you live. However, your own contents that you have in the property with you will be your responsibility and you will need to insure them adequately in case of an incident such as break-in or fire. This is where renters or tenants insurance comes in.

Living room at rented property

Your tenant’s contents insurance will cover the general furniture and belongs that you keep in your home to go about everyday life. These will be covered against all of the standard issues that could cause damage to your property, such as fire, smoke, theft, escape of water or storm damage. When a policy is taken out you should always check the policy wording so that you know exactly what is and isn’t covered.

Contents insurance for renters with CoverBuilder

  • Full contents cover available – protect your important belongings
  • Avoid paying for cover you don’t need
  • Cover for landlord’s fixtures and fittings
  • Personal possessions cover available for items such as mobile phones
  • Full quote and buy online
  • Average call centre answer time under 1 minute

Cover for your personal possessions

At CoverBuilder, we also provide the option to include personal possessions cover on your renter’s insurance policy. By selecting this optional cover, items such as mobile phones, laptops or expensive handbags can be covered against damage, loss or theft both within your home and when you are out and about.

Specified personal possessions:

Any valuables that you want cover for that are worth more than £1000 will need to be listed individually on your policy.

Example: a diamond engagement ring worth £1800 would be a specified item. The specified items section doesn’t need to include general furniture such as sofas or beds.

Unspecified personal possessions:

If you want cover for personal items which are worth less than £1000 individually then you can cover them as unspecified personal possessions, under a blanket cover. This category includes items such as mobile phones or tablets. You will not need to duplicate specified items in this section.

Woman making phone call to arrange insurance