Home contents insurance for tenants

Landlords will usually be responsible for insuring the building that you live in as a tenant. However, your own contents will be your responsibility to insure. You will need to cover them in case of an incident such as break-in or fire. Something like this could mean you need to replace quite a lot of your belongings. This is where tenant insurance will come in.

Your tenant contents insurance will cover the general furniture and belongs that you keep in your home. These will be covered against all of the standard things that could cause damage to your property. This includes things such as fire, smoke, theft, escape of water or storm damage. When you buy a policy you should check the wording so that you know exactly what is and isn’t covered.

Benefits of a CoverBuilder tenant insurance policy:

  • Full contents cover available – protect your important belongings
  • Avoid paying for cover you don’t need
  • Cover for Landlord’s fixtures and fittings
  • Personal possessions cover available for items such as mobile phones
  • Full quote and buy online
  • Tenants liability included


Cover for your personal possessions

hands holding mobile phone personal possession

At CoverBuilder, we also provide the option to include personal possessions cover on your policy. By selecting this optional cover, items such as mobile phones, laptops or expensive handbags can be covered. They will be protected against damage, loss or theft both within your home and when you are out and about.

Specified personal possessions:

Any valuables that you want cover for that are worth more than £1000 will need to be listed individually on your policy.

Example: a diamond engagement ring worth £1800 would be a specified item. This doesn’t need to include general furniture such as sofas or beds.

Unspecified personal possessions:

If you want cover for personal items which are worth less than £1000 individually then you can cover them as unspecified personal possessions. This category includes items such as mobile phones or tablets. You will not need to duplicate specified items in this section.

Tenants contents insurance cover landlords fixtures fittings

Some leases will state that as a tenant there are certain parts of the building that you are responsible for. Examples of this could be kitchen units or bathroom fittings. In this situation, you could claim for these things under your tenant contents insurance policy. This is included as standard within your CoverBuilder tenant policy. You will be covered for damage caused by standard insured events such as fire, flood or explosion.

Such cover can provide peace of mind for you as a tenant that you can cover your landlord’s fixtures and fittings. Cover is not provided for damage that is caused by any paying guests at the property. There is also no cover for anything that happens when your home has been unoccupied for over 30 days in a row. The most that will be paid out for a claim for tenant’s liability is £5000.

Example: A fire has broken out in the kitchen and ruined the units. Your tenancy agreement says that you are responsible for these. Your policy will, therefore, pay to replace these, as well as any contents of yours that have been damaged.