Second Home Insurance

Protect your weekend home when you are not there with the help of a CoverBuilder second home insurance policy. With our comprehensive cover, you can feel at ease that your property will be protected when it is left empty. Whether you own your second home due to working away in the week, or you use it as a holiday escape once a month, we have a flexible policy that can cover your home and contents in full.

As well as our standard policy benefits our Second Home Insurance policy can include:
  • Weekday/weekend property cover
  • Cover if you work away from your main property during the week/weekend
  • Buildings cover up to £1.5million
  • Contents cover up to £150,000
  • Trace and access cover up to £5000
  • Option to cover up to 9 bedroom properties
  • Variety of unoccupied options available
  • No cancellation fees
  • Home emergency cover available
  • Legal cover included as standard
  • Average call centre answer time under 1 minute



Second home insurance quotes help

Speak to one of our insurance experts via our instant online chat option. We’ll help guide you through a quote to make sure your specific circumstances are covered whilst providing you with our most competitive premium.


Second home insurance


Selecting the correct insurance

Second home ownership in the UK is rapidly growing in popularity, with an increase in the number of people taking “staycations”, more people working away from their main address and many people seeing property as a stable long-term investment.  This boom in ownership has also led to increased demand for suitable second home house insurance policies which unfortunately many of the current insurers on the market are not able to offer.

Flat with balcony


Although it can be tempting to simply use a standard home insurance policy without disclosing that the property is used as a holiday home, this is very unwise as the insurer would have the right to not pay out if you make a claim and may even cancel or void the policy. The best option is to take out a specialist insurance policy that is tailored for occasional use and holiday homes.

Although many people mistakenly believe that they should insure for the current market value of their second home, this is incorrect. The buildings sum insured needs to cover the cost of rebuilding the property if there was a disaster that meant was completely destroyed. The rebuild cost is therefore how much it will cost to replace the buildings in their current form. This amount should include garages and any outbuildings as well as luxurious permanent fixtures such as swimming pools, tennis courts and patios.


The right second home insurance policy for you

Holiday home

You may have purchased a second home as a coastal retreat, to escape the busy city on weekends. Whereas this can be idyllic for those fortunate enough to be in this position, the majority of standard insurers are not willing to cover holiday homes, due to the fact that they can frequently be left unoccupied for long periods of time.

Colourful holiday homes

Holiday let

In the same way as people will choose to purchase a holiday home for their own use, some choose to buy a holiday home and let it out to members of the public. As this is a commercial risk, a suitable landlord’s insurance product will be needed for a holiday let, as residential home insurance will not be able to cover all of the risks involved with this scenario.


Property is still a good choice for investing your money as it is seen as a relatively safe form of investment. Often there is substantial profit to be made from buying a run-down property, doing it up and selling it on for a profit. Insurance during this time will need to be very specialist to account for the property being unoccupied and any renovations that may take place.


Many owners of a second property choose to maximise the investment by letting the property out to tenants and generating an income through the rent. Again, properties such as these will require a dedicated landlord insurance policy, not only to protect the property itself but also the landlord again problems with their tenants such as withheld rent or unacceptable conduct.


After the death of a family member, people can often find themselves in possession of that person’s home. These properties will often be unoccupied for a fair chunk of time, as long-term plans are made for the deceased’s estate. Adequate insurance during this period is vital, as the executors of the estate will be personally liable should anything happen to the property.


Block of flats


Second home buildings insurance

When considering insurance for your second home you will need to decide on what sort of policy you require. While buildings cover is likely to be a necessity, lots of people think about not taking out contents insurance – this is not advisable. Although you may not keep anything of high value at your second home, it is surprising how much it can cost to replace even the basic furniture that a home contains. Holiday home contents insurance is just as important as your content insurance at your main address.

A good way to estimate the value of contents insurance that you require is to walk room to room and make a note of the cost of replacing each item in there – it will soon add up! That is why CoverBuilder offers joint building and contents policies that can cover your home and everything in it, putting your mind at rest when the property is left unoccupied.

Adding personal possessions cover to your second home policy can also provide peace of mind that the items you will have on holiday with you will be covered when you are out and about. This avoids the need for multiple policies and you can have your mobile phone insurance, camera insurance and home insurance all in one policy.

Second home living room

Cover for properties that are rented out

We are able to offer cover for properties with lodgers or ‘guests’ who will be occupying the property at the same time as you via our home hosting cover.  We do not offer landlord buy-to-let insurance products, so can only offer cover for second homes that will be used exclusively by you and your family, rather than being let to tenants.