Previous Subsidence Home Insurance Specialists

If your property has suffered subsidence you have probably experienced it being both difficult and very expensive to get home insurance. CoverBuilder specialises in covering properties that have experienced previous subsidence and heave and had the damage rectified.

Our simplified online quote gives you an instant price and purchase option, avoiding the need to spend ages on the phone. We ask everything we need to know online to give you a price.

Enhanced cover with us;

  • Immediate cover
  • Buildings cover up to £1.5million
  • Contents cover up to £150,000
  • Personal possessions up to £40,000
  • Optional home emergency cover
  • Trace & access cover up to £5000
  • Policies for properties that are in known subsidence areas
  • Cover for properties that have previously suffered from subsidence*.
  • Properties that show signs of historic movement can be covered.*
  • Extremely competitive rates for underpinned properties
  • Average call centre answer time under 1 minute





*At CoverBuilder we work with top UK insurers to cover such risks so long as the following conditions are met:

Can I get home insurance if my property has been affected by previous subsidence?

Whilst subsidence is a standard peril that is covered by most home insurance policies, once a property has suffered from subsidence insurers can be reluctant to offer this cover. This is when it necessary to look into the option of specialist subsidence insurers. At CoverBuilder we work with top UK insurers to ensure that any previously underpinned property is able to obtain the most comprehensive cover possible, in order to protect against repeat subsidence. You can find out more information about insurance after a subsidence claim through the ABI here

Insuring a property that has experienced heave

Similar to subsidence, heave also causes extensive damage to properties. This is the upward movement of the ground, often as a result of an excess of water causing the earth in the ground to expand. Again, the symptoms and effects of heave are similar to that of subsidence. The upward movement of a property causes serious cracking to walls, especially around windows and doors.


cracks in wall due to subsidence

5 ways to reduce the risk of subsidence impacting you


1. Plan where you plant trees and shrubbery

Avoid planting trees or large shrubs close to your home, garage, or outbuilding. Trees and shrubs can absorb a considerable amount of water from the surrounding soil resulting in shrinkage and destabilising of the foundations.

2. Take care of your gutters, downpipes and drains

Ensure that your drain system is tested regularly for any infestation or water leaks. Contact your local buildings maintenance firm to arrange the necessary checks.

3. Investigate any cracks in your walls

Whilst not all wall cracks are caused by subsidence, they can be an excellent early warning of a more serious problem. Often subsidence cracks are centred around doors and windows. You may also experience difficulty in opening/closing doors and windows due to the frame shifting.

4. Carry out the relevant research

Conducting the necessary checks for subsidence is recommended before committing to purchasing a property. Access to a surveyor’s report will enable you to discover whether the property has been previously affected by subsidence.

5. Deal with early warning signs quickly

If you notice any signs of subsidence from cracking or movement you should act fast to prevent as much future damage as possible. It’s highly advisable to contact your insurer as soon as possible.


builder investigating source of subsidence



I think my property is subsiding. Who should I contact?

If you suspect your property is subsiding, contact a professional for further advice at the earliest opportunity. A builder or structural surveyor will be able to confirm if your property is affected by subsidence and provide a solution which may involve the removal of vegetation, relining of drains or the strengthening of your home’s foundations through underpinning.


Subsidence Home Insurance Specialists

What is the definition of subsidence?

This is the downward moment of earth beneath a property, moving with it the foundations on which the property was built. Subsidence can make it very difficult and costly for you to source the appropriate home insurance policy, thousands of properties are affected by subsidence each year.

Subsidence Insurance illustration

What are the telltale signs of property subsidence?

Cracks in wall due to subsidence

Before assuming that your property is suffering from subsidence, it is important to examine the signs in great detail. Subsidence cracks are most likely to;

  • Exceed 3mm in width
  • Be visible on both the interior and exterior of the property
  • Form in weaker spots of the home (surrounding windows and doors)
  • Be wider at the top than at the bottom

Subsidence damage to wall

Other indicators that may suggest your home is suffering from subsidence include;

  • Movement of the walls causing windows, doors and other openings to stick and become difficult to open.
  • Cracks appearing in the plasterwork inside your home
  • Cracks appearing in external brickwork
  • Cracks where an extension joins the main building

Damage to wall as result of previous subsidence



What is a Certificate of Structural Adequacy?

If your property has previously suffered subsidence then as part of our requirements to be able to offer you the best premium we can, there will need to be a Certificate of Structural Adequacy for the underpinning work previously done.

When the repair has been organised as a result of an insurance claim, the insurer appointed Building Surveyor would have provided a Certificate of Structural Adequacy.  This is issued under the guidance of the Institution of Structural Engineers (1994) although there is no actual contractual or legal requirement for one to be provided, nor is this a form of guarantee.