Insurance for unoccupied house when owner deceased

no cancellation feeWhen someone dies and leaves behind a property, responsibility for that property will usually fall with the person who is dealing with the estate – the executor. The executor will be responsible for overseeing the process of probate that the estate will go through.

This process involves administrating any outstanding debts and then dividing money and assets amongst the various beneficiaries. This can be a lengthy legal process, usually taking between 3 and 6 months to complete. A house is likely to be the biggest asset that a person has owned which is where probate home insurance comes into play.

Properties going through probate are often left unoccupied, many standard insurers will be unable to continue the original cover once the property owner has passed away. This means that if you are the executor of an estate it is likely that you will need to contact a specialist insurance provider to take out a suitable policy and ensure the property is fully covered.

This means that if you are the executor of an estate you will benefit from one of our specialist policies to ensure the property is fully covered.



Our policies can include;

  • Buildings cover up to £1.5million
  • Contents cover up to £150,000*
  • Whole of policy Building Cover options available*
  • Trace & Access cover up to £5000*
  • Cover for theft, malicious damage & vandalism up to 45 days*
  • Damage by squatters*
  • Cover for fire, flood, storm*
  • Switch from unoccupied to occupied during the policy term
  • Ability to cancel before the end of the policy
  • Average call centre answer time under 1 minute



Insurance for unoccupied house when owner deceased


Benefits of an executor insurance policy with CoverBuilder:

  • Cover designed for properties going through probate
  • Building & contents cover, regardless of whether property is occupied
  • Sensitive and professional assistance at what can be a traumatic time
  • No time-consuming telephone referrals
  • Flexibility and understanding from our help centre when dealing with executor queries
  • Instant cover


Quote For Executor Home Insurance


House insurance during probate

It is particularly important during probate to ensure that a property is fully covered by ‘insurance unoccupied house owner deceased’ policy. This is because if their were to be an issue with the property, if no insurance is in place then the cost of the repairs will fall to the executor. If the damage caused were down to a big issue such as subsidence then the cost of the repairs can soon creep up into many thousands of pounds, an unfeasible amount for many to afford.

House insurance after death of policyholder

Although home insurance is likely to be the last thing on anybody’s mind after someone dies, it is important to consider for the reasons listed above. However, there are a few exceptions to this general rule. If the property was owned in joint names, then it will not need to go through probate and the surviving owner will take over the ownership and insurance policy on the property. If you are in any doubt about the legal status of a property then it is best to contact a qualified solicitor who deals with queries such as this, as they will be best equipped to help you with your queries.

Unoccupied property insurance online quote system

Our executor home insurance policies are able to be fully quoted online, whether they are for a property that is going to be occupied or one that is due to be unoccupied for the foreseeable future. This means that quotes can be completed in your own time, eliminating as much stress as possible from the process.. The policy will need to be taken out in the name of the person that has passed away, as well as using their date of birth and previous occupation. However, the answers to all further questions on the quote, such as information on previous

However, the answers to all further questions on the quote, such as information on previous bankruptcies and refused insurance, need to be answered regarding the executor or administrator of the estate. This ensures that the most suitable policy is selected for your and the property’s particular needs.


For sale sign outside unoccupied property


Quoting for an unoccupied property that is in probate:

  1. On page 1, ‘Do you own the property?’ should be answered in relation to the deceased person’s ownership of the property e.g. whether they had a mortgage or not.
  2. On page 2, for the question ‘Is the property?’ you should select ‘Other’ and a drop-down menu will appear. ‘Unoccupied’ should be selected from this list.
  3. Once ‘Unoccupied’ has been selected further questions will appear below. ‘Why is the property unoccupied?’ should be answered ‘Owner deceased, property in probate.’
  4. ‘What level of cover is required?’ should be answered with the level of your choosing, bearing in mind that the more extensive the cover, the more expensive the premium you will pay.
  5. On page 4 (My Details) when answering ‘Title’ you should select ‘Other’ and then click ‘Executors of’ from the drop-down menu that appears. The personal details on the quote should be those of the person that has passed away and legally owned the house (e.g. name, date of birth, occupation).
  6. The rest of the questions regarding bankruptcies, CCJs and convictions should be answered in relation to you, the executor.
  7. On the final submission stages when you are entering a correspondence address and contact details, they should be your own details as the executor. This means we will easily be able to contact you to discuss your policy if necessary.

How to quote

Our online system has been designed to ensure that the entire quote process is as straightforward and easy to use as possible. Simply input your quote information following the step by step prompts, after which a policy premium will be generated for you. However, if you have any trouble using the system our friendly customer service team are just a click away via our online chat facility. They are available during normal office hours via chat – if your query falls outside of these times then leave a message and someone will be in touch as soon as we get back to the office.

Home Insurance Quote


Useful Probate related links:

Inland Revenue guide to the valuation of a property process

A detailed guide on valuing a house for probate can be found at

Inheritance tax issues

HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs website) offers information and advice on probate matters and specific issues relating to inheritance tax. Their website is

A guide on what to do after someone has passed away

The citizen advice provides advice and a fact sheet on what to do after some has died at

How to apply for probate

You can apply for a grant of representation yourself or use a solicitor or another person licensed to provide probate services. There are 4 steps to follow, more information about these steps can be found at:

Bereavement Advice

Cruse Bereavement Care is the leading national charity for bereaved people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. We offer support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies and work to enhance society’s care of bereaved people.

Cruse Bereavement Care supports people who are bereaved, their website is at:

Law Society Probate Section

A grant of probate is an official document which the executors may need to administer the estate. It is issued by a section of the court known as the probate registry.

The law society probate section can be found at

Solicitors for the elderly

SFE (Solicitors for the Elderly) is an independent, national organisation of lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers, and chartered legal executives who provide specialist legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers. Contains details of expert solicitors experienced in probate