Specialist Home Insurance for properties undergoing refurbishment

no cancellation feeDoing up your home may not lead you to think you need specialist home insurance. Unknown to many people, there are many rules in standard home insurance policies that can leave people lacking the cover they thought they were paying for. More dangerously it can invalidate their cover completely.

We have a range of insurance underwriters we work with to provide you with a tailored policy whilst your home is undergoing renovation.

Key risks you’ll be covered for with our home refurbishment insurance:
  • Buildings and Contents protection available
  • Cover for accidents to persons in the property
  • Theft of possessions and building equipment
  • Cover available while property is empty
  • Cover for renovation works costing up to £200,000

We can insure a full range of refurbishment projects, from redecoration to large-scale extensions. Plus once the work is done, we can transfer your cover to one of our standard policies over the phone in one simple step. Our quote system allows you to quote 100% online and get an instant decision and premium for your situation.


Do I need home renovation insurance?

Even with the greatest of planning and care, refurbishment/renovation works to your property increase the chance of damage. Your insurer will, therefore, need full details of the work being carried out. This will then allow the insurer to adapt your premium accordingly.

With many ‘standard’ policies your cover is reduced to the very basic level of risks such a Fire, lightening, Explosion, Earthquake and Aircraft. At CoverBuilder we aim to be able to cover the property in full and the contents within (subject to individual circumstances).

What information do I need when quoting for my insurance?

  • The value of works. How much are you planning to spend on the refurbishment?
  • Nature of construction and refurbishment. e.g. painting and decorating or a double-storey extension?
  • What impact will the construction and refurbishment have on the size of the property?
  • Timescale. When is the work due to start and finish?
  • Contractors and tradespeople. Will a professional complete the work or are you planning to conduct the work yourself?
  • Contract. Do you have a physical agreement in place with your contractor?
  • Public liability insurance. Do your contractors have public liability insurance?
  • Planning permission. Do you have the necessary planning consent for building works?

empty room awaiting refurbishment

When do I need to inform my insurer of refurbishment works?

You need to tell your insurer about any cosmetic refurbishments you make to your property. This includes painting and any kitchen/bathroom replacement.

You will particularly need to inform your home insurer of any structural, electrical or plumbing alterations to the property. This will ensure the validity of your home insurance policy in the event of damage during this time.

I’m not going to be residing in the property during the refurbishment. Do I need to tell my insurer?

As standard, a household policy will only provide cover for a property that is empty up to 30 days in a row. If you are going to be moving out of your property for a longer period of time during your building works then you will need to inform your insurer. Based on this they can either alter your policy or advise you to replace it with more suitable specialist cover.

Failure to do so could result in you running into difficulties should a claim be made.

Which insurance companies cover home renovation insurance?

Insurance for refurbishment will not necessarily be covered by your standard household policy, which is why we created our dedicated renovation cover. At CoverBuilder we don’t want anything to overshadow the exciting plans for your home.

Make sure you are covered when builders are working on your home

Although it is vital that you talk to your home insurance company about any potential building works that you have planned for your home, it is equally important to check that your builders are suitably covered for the work. Generally, although renovation home insurance policies will cover you and your home, their cover will not be able to extend to protect the builders and their work – find out more here