CoverBuilder works with a selection of well-known UK insurance underwriters, including AXA, to offer you exclusive deals on your home insurance. We cover over 95% of home insurance risks, including more complex property or personal circumstances. With over 25 years experience in the insurance industry, we’re on hand to find the right policy to match your needs without paying more than you need to. All our policies qualify for our ‘no cancellation fee’ promise.

Home insurance from £8.14 a month

Choose from a selection of buildings only, contents only or full home insurance options and optional extras.

Home Insurance that’s tailored to your individual needs and circumstances

There are three main categories that home insurance falls into: buildings, contents and combined buildings and contents. Most homeowners choose to take out a combined buildings and contents policy. This generally works out cheaper than two separate policies, whilst ensuring that your entire home and contents are covered. If you are in possession of a vacant property with limited furnishing you may choose to take out just buildings insurance. Equally, tenants at rented properties will not need to insure the building in which they live. They would only require a contents policy to cover their personal belongings within. CoverBuilder provides flexible cover for a huge range of homes, with flexible payment options, online policy management and no cancellation fee as standard.



What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance is designed to cover the bricks and mortar of your home. This ensures that should disaster strike at your property, you will be able to afford to return it to its previous state. Buildings insurance is designed to protect your property against a whole range of risks including:

  • Flood
  • Fire
  • Lightening
  • Earthquake
  • Explosion
  • Storm
  • Escape of water/oil
  • Malicious damage
  • Damage from theft
  • Accidental damage (optional extra)

What does buildings insurance cover


Buildings insurance is designed to cover you for whatever damage may occur. That is whether it is a broken window costing a few hundred pounds or a huge house fire where the cost of repairs reaches six figures. Buildings insurance will usually also contain an element of cover for trace and access. This covers the cost of any damage caused by locating the source of a leak or break. Having suitable buildings insurance in place is vital to ensure that you can afford to repair whatever damage befalls your property. It is also incredibly important to ensure that the sum insured you have selected is sufficient to fully cover the cost of rebuilding your home from scratch.

What is the rebuild cost of my property?

Calculating a building’s rebuild cost will require the use of a buildings rebuild cost calculator. If you have a home to protect, you will want to make sure you have the right level of cover in place.

Learn more about why using an appropriate figure for your rebuild cost is essential to avoid underinsurance. 

Why not use our inbuilt rebuild cost estimator?

We have a direct link to the BCIS rebuild cost estimator in our quote system that automatically suggests an estimated rebuild cost for you to use in your insurance quote. Remember, this is an estimate and should be treated as such to avoid under-insurance.


Home Insurance contents insurance cover


What is contents insurance?

Contents insurance is designed to cover everything in your property that you would remove and take with you were you to move house. These items will be covered against all of the standard issues that could cause damage to your property. This includes things such as fire, smoke, theft, the escape of water or storm damage. In order to take out home insurance for your contents, you will need to provide a figure for the value of the contents of your home. The best way to do this is to move room-to-room in your house, taking note of the items in the room and jotting up their combined value.

If this is not something that you are able to do then lots of insurers will provide the option of a notional quote. This is where the cover provided is either calculated based on the size of your house. Alternatively, it simply defaults to the highest amount the insurer is able to offer.

What home insurance do I need if I rent?

Generally, as a tenant, you would only be required to insure your own belongings and not the building itself or any permanent fixings that do not belong to you. Naturally, if you were to damage your landlord’s property or fixings you can still be responsible for the repair or rectification. This is usually done via your bond and any further charge deemed necessary. A standard contents policy is, in most cases, going to be appropriate covers. If you have a number of expensive personal items you want to take out with you then you should look for cover as part of your personal possession contents or even stand-alone cover for very high-cost items.

Learn more about renters insurance and tenants liability insurance.


 Understanding important cover within your policy


Home Insurance Accidental Damage Cover

What is accidental damage cover?

As it sounds, Accidental Damage cover is designed to protect you if your contents become damaged through a one-off, unintentional incident. This could include things such as spilling red wine over a cream colour carpet, or your child accidentally knocking your TV off its stand and causing it to smash.

AD Insurance can also be taken out to protect your buildings. This would cover you for situations such as a football being kicked through your living room window or accidentally putting your foot through the ceiling when you’re up in the attic. However, issues that are deemed to be caused by general wear and tear will not be covered. It has to be damage that can be confirmed as having happened in one insured incident.


What is trace and access?

Trace and access can be basically described as the process of finding where a leak is coming from albeit water, gas or oil. Sometimes it is very obvious what the source of the damage is (for example if you can identify the pipe where water is leaking from). In other situations, the only evidence that something is seriously wrong could be the smell of gas or wet walls and ceilings.

Getting to the source of a leak can often be an expensive and disruptive process which is why having this cover can prove so invaluable. Trace and access cost can often become very high, running into thousands of pounds.

With a generous limit of £5000 per claim to find the source of the leak, your CoverBuilder Trace and Access cover will ensure that you can get your home back up and running as soon as possible.


trace and access

What is FLEA cover?

This is the bedrock of any buildings policy. FLEA stands for Fire, Lightning, Earthquake, Explosion, Aircraft. This covers the basic perils if your property were to be damaged by events involving these four root causes.

What is personal possession cover?

Your buildings and contents insurance covers your contents while they are in your home. However, if you want your personal items to be covered when you’re out and about as well, then it may be worth considering adding on personal possessions insurance cover.

If you choose to purchase this additional cover, you will also be able to enjoy the benefit of personal possessions insurance abroad. This means that when you are on holiday, you will be covered and be able to make a claim for items stolen.


How to insure your property correctly

Home Insurance renovation insurance


Insurance to cover home renovation

Even with the greatest of planning and care, refurbishment/renovation works to your property increase the chance of damage. That is why it is important that your home insurance provider is aware that there are works taking place at your property. Some mainstream insurers will be unable to continue their cover at a property when there are renovations taking place. There are a number of specialist providers, such as CoverBuilder, who can provide specialist renovation insurance. Depending on the scale of the renovations taking place, some people choose to remain living at their property while the works take place. Others will be forced to temporarily move out and leave the home unoccupied.

Protection when your home is undergoing building works

CoverBuilder is able to provide quotes for renovations that fall into both categories. However, the cover provided does vary depending on the individual circumstances. Therefore, quotes should be checked carefully before being submitted. This insurance is designed to complement your builders’ insurance policy which should cover their liability and works.


Home Insurance non standard home insurance


Non-standard home insurance

Non-standard in the world of home insurance can be generally divided into two categories: non-standard personal circumstances and non-standard properties. The first category includes situations such as having poor credit history, working from home, having previously been refused insurance or being the executor of an estate. Non-standard properties include those of unusual construction such as a flat roof or steel frame, properties undergoing renovation and properties that have been left unoccupied for a variety of reasons.

Click here for a non-standard home insurance definition


Home Insurance with business use


Home insurance with business use and working from home

Working from home can lead to you being turned down for standard home insurance for a number of reasons. Clerical business work is usually acceptable to lots of insurers. Anything more than this tends to require the location of more specialist cover. If you have a business that can lead to customers frequently visiting your property there is a much higher chance of something being stolen or your property being damaged in some way. There is also a greatly increased chance of an incident happening that affects your customer and leads to a potential liability claim. These factors explain why it can be harder to source suitable and competitively priced cover when you run a home business. Luckily specialist providers such as CoverBuilder mean that there are options available to purchase specialist home business insurance.

Click here for 5 tips to succeed when working from home


Types of home business use covered

At CoverBuilder we can provide home insurance when there are a variety of businesses being run from the address. These can be split into three main categories:

1) Clerical business use – If you carry out a hefty amount of administrative work from home, which includes the use of office equipment such as printers, laptops, and desktops. Examples of clerical working, Graphic designers, general office-based work

2) Regular business visitors to the property – In many instances, particularly if you are a service provider, visitors will often frequent your property. You will need to inform your insurer if this is the case for you and your business. A higher number of visitors means that your home and contents are more exposed to risk. Example occupations that require regular business visitors: Beauticians, Child-minders, Accountants, Music Teachers, Tutors, Counsellors.

3) Others Business Use – There are other occasions in which you will need to inform your insurer of your home working set-up which doesn’t fit into the first two categories.  Example occupations: Cake maker, mechanic, photographer, online seller. If you are a foster carer then your foster children will count as members of your immediate family and business use at the property will not need to be noted.


Home Insurance for a listed building


How to insure a listed building

As the owner of a listed building, it is particularly important that you have a suitable home insurance policy. You are legally obliged to maintain the property in a good state of repair. This means if there was a huge incident such as a fire, you could be left with a hefty bill if you haven’t taken out insurance.

However, there can sometimes be difficulty in obtaining a suitable policy in the first place. Lots of standard providers will be unable to cover period properties, In particular since their rebuild costs are often significantly higher than an equivalent new build. It is important if you own one of these buildings that you source a suitable provider that is aware of the property’s status.

Click here for tips on caring for your listed building.


Home Insurance unoccupied property insurance


Unoccupied property insurance

In insurance terms, a house is generally considered to be unoccupied once it hasn’t been lived in for more than 30 continuous days. Some insurers will restrict cover from this point. Others will allow 45 or 60 days before their unoccupied terms apply. There are a number of reasons that a property can be left unoccupied including:

Awaiting the sale of your property.
Death of the policyholder
Awaiting probate
You are an executor
• The property is undergoing renovation/refurbishment works.
If you go travelling or take an extended holiday.
• Cover for a holiday home
• Cover for a second home
• Waiting for the occupation of the property (not landlord cover).
• If you, the sole occupier are absent due to extended hospitalisation.



The level of cover that you receive when you take out vacant property insurance does vary from provider to provider.It is important to always read any policy documents carefully and check the small print. Some insurers will reduce the cover at the property to FLEA (Fire, Lightning, Earthquake, Explosion, Aircraft) while others will provide more cover subject to certain restrictions and policy excesses.

Click here for some handy tips to when selling an empty home

Home Insurance death of policyholder


Insuring a home when the owner dies

The death of a loved one is a very stressful time in somebody’s life. Home insurance is likely to be the last thing on their mind. Yet if you have been appointed the executor of an estate then it is very important. This is because executors can be legally responsible for an estate while probate is processed. This means that if an incident such as a house fire occurred at the property during this time you could be left personally liable for the cost of the repairs.

Probate properties will often be left unoccupied for substantial periods of time while the legalities are finalised. This means they are vulnerable to many of the same risks as other unoccupied properties. This, in turn, can make standard home insurance providers reluctant to offer insurance. If you are the executor of an estate and looking for insurance for a probate property then you will often have to use a specialist provider.

home insurance with lodgers


Home insurance if you host guests & lodgers

Many standard insurers are unwilling or unable to cover your property if you choose to have paying lodgers live with you in a spare room. This is because the increased footfall at your property can lead to an increased risk of damage or theft occurring. It can also be because the property could be seen as a commercial risk. Home insurance when you have a lodger is also frequently referred to as Live in Landlord insurance.

Before taking on a lodger there are a number of implications that you need to consider. These are largely in relation to your mortgage/rental agreement and your home insurance. If you own your property on a mortgage then you will need to inform your lender of your lodger. It could affect the terms of your mortgage and cause significant problems if they are not made aware. Equally, if you are a tenant then you need to inform your landlord and check the terms of your lease. This is to ensure that sub-letting the property is not going to break the terms of your lease.


Insuring a home for B&B and Guest House use

If you run a Bed and Breakfast from your property it is likely that a standard home insurance provider will not be able to offer sufficient cover for your needs. The business use at your property is likely to be a prohibitive factor for many of the biggest insurance providers. At CoverBuilder we are bed and breakfast insurance specialists who provide cover for your home that you use as a B&B. This cover for bed and breakfast use can also encompass insurance for UK Airbnb hosts who let out a room at their property on a full or part-time basis.

Our B&B insurance policies can also cover you if you require guest house insurance, as the two terms are frequently interchanged. Your home and contents can be covered no matter how you choose to accept your paying guests, as long as you remain in residence during their stay.


home insurance Northern Ireland


Insuring your holiday home and weekend home

It is a great luxury to own a second home that you use on the weekends or to take regular breaks in the UK. However, finding a suitable insurance policy for homes such as this can be troublesome. As holiday homes can frequently be left unoccupied for substantial chunks of time, owners of such properties can experience the same insurance difficulties as those with unoccupied properties. Without someone there checking on the property every day, small issues can quickly snowball into much bigger areas of damage. This can be very expensive to fix, for example, a small leak that ends up flooding a living room. Specialist providers such as CoverBuilder are able to provide comprehensive cover for holiday homes. This is as long as they are kept entirely for personal use rather than being let out to paying members of the public.


Home insurance with previous claims


How can I get cheap home insurance with previous claims?

Unfortunately, having previously made a number of claims on your home insurance policy will usually result in your annual premium being more expensive. Having made previous claims makes it appear to insurers that you could be more likely to make another claim in the future. This means you will end up being a more expensive risk to cover. In some cases, insurers may even choose not to provide cover at all. This could be because of a high number of previous claims or because those claims were high in value.

Although it may be tempting to not mention previous claims in order to qualify for a mainstream policy, or reduce your premiums, this is not advisable. The Claims and Underwriting Exchange (CUE) is a national database that all insurers have access to. It holds a record of all previous claims. Therefore,  if you lie you will get found out eventually and run the risk of invalidating your cover completely.

Home Insurance previous subsidence


How to insure a property that has suffered previous subsidence

When a property has previously suffered damage from subsidence finding an insurance policy that will cover it can be a challenge. Subsidence damage can often be extremely costly for insurers to rectify, meaning they are reluctant to take on a new house that could potentially cost them a lot of money in future claims.

Despite this, as long as the damage to the property has been rectified, then it is still often possible to find a suitable policy. As long as the property has been underpinned and the works issued with a certificate of structural adequacy then you will be able to obtain a competitive quote from providers such as CoverBuilder.

Click here to learn more about certificates of structural adequacy.

Home insurance with a flat roof


How to insure a property with a flat roof

Flat roof properties are deemed a higher insurance risk, for two primary reasons. They offer an easier route of access during burglaries and can be the cause of internal water damage. Our poor climate means that we are no strangers to rainy weather. A large downpour of rain or snow can cause water to pond and weaken the flat roof due to its inability to drain the stagnating water.

It is therefore vital when applying for insurance that you declare any area of flat roof that your property possesses. This will mean that the insurer is able to accurately rate the premium for your policy. In turn, this will ensure that should you need to make a claim you will be fully covered.

Click here to learn more about how insurers define a flat roof. 

Home Insurance unusual construction

How to insure a property with an unusual construction?

When a property is made from anything other than the standard brick and tiles, many standard insurers can be reluctant to offer a policy to cover it. Properties can be made from a huge variety of construction materials including:

If your property is built from one of these non-standard construction materials then it is likely that you may struggle to find suitable insurance cover for it. You may also experience more difficulty using services such as rebuild cost calculators. These are generally based on homes that have been built using traditional brick and tile materials. Some materials will have a well-known brand name, such as Wimpey No Fines. The broader category that they fall into will need to be selected when running a quote.

Home insurance for large properties


Insurance for large houses of over 6 bedrooms

In insurance terms, a large house is generally deemed to be a property with 6 or more bedrooms. Insurers use the number of bedrooms at a property to estimate how much it would cost to rebuild. Therefore, the more bedrooms you have the higher this figure and the more expensive your insurance. If you have a large home to protect then CoverBuilder is able to provide comprehensive buildings and contents cover. If you are lucky enough to live in a large house you can be reassured that you have suitable insurance cover in place.


Personal Circumstances


How to get home insurance if you have a conviction?

There are multiple reasons and scenarios that an insurer will consider when quoting for a customer with a criminal record. Often regardless of the conviction, an insurer will deem that person a higher risk to have on their books. This can be because of:

The moral factor – The fact that the person applying has a criminal record will lead many general insurers to think about that person’s moral standing. This for them draws into the equation honesty and dependability when quoting.

Other factors – A person with a criminal record could also be higher risk due to future repercussions/revenge incidents. This puts the property in a higher perceived level of danger.

Refused and declines – Many companies will look to avoid policyholders with convictions and will increase their premiums with a highly inflated price to become uncompetitive. They may simply refuse to offer cover at all. You may also have experienced a refusal at renewal if the conviction has occurred within your last policy term.

Only unspent convictions need to be declared when applying for home insurance cover. Some serious convictions never become spent and must therefore always be declared. Equally, cautions, reprimands and final warnings are not considered to be convictions so will never need to be declared.


Refused home insurance


What to do if your insurance is cancelled by your insurer?

Sometimes insurers can choose to cancel your policy before its renewal date. This is classed as a mid-term cancellation and can cause issues when it comes to obtaining future insurance policies. There can be a variety of reasons that lead to an insurer cancelling home insurance. Some have more serious consequences than others. A simple change in circumstances, such as planning renovation works at the property can lead to a decision such as this being taken. However, as long as you find an insurer who will be able to cover the renovations this shouldn’t have far-reaching consequences. Having a policy cancelled mid-term for a reason such as non-disclosure can severely impact your ability to obtain future insurance. This is something that will have to be disclosed in all future applications.


What to do if your renewal is declined?

Home insurance renewals can be declined by existing insurers for a number of reasons. Often, it is because your circumstances have changed in some way. This can mean that the risk is no longer acceptable to the insurer. This could be because you have started running a business from home or that they simply don’t cover your postcode area anymore. If you have had a home insurance renewal denied, companies like CoverBuilder will likely be able to offer you a competitive quote. Non-standard and specialist risks are our preferred customers. Equally, if your renewal has been declined due to a change in circumstances including a criminal conviction or bankruptcy, we are still able to offer a competitive quote.


Home Insurance poor credit

How to get home insurance with poor credit

Mainstream insurers often consider a low credit score, CCJ, IVA or bankruptcy as a high-risk matter. They will often avoid providing insurance during such circumstances. If you have had previous financial difficulty then purchasing any financial product can be far more difficult. At CoverBuilder we have designed our policies to ensure we can offer cover to the widest range of people possible. We are able to insure homeowners with IVAs and CCJs, even if they have not yet been satisfied. We also aim to offer a variety of payment options to suit all budgets. At times when money is tight then having insurance in place becomes more important than ever.


What is home emergency cover? Why is it useful?

Home emergency cover will cover the cost of emergency callout and repair. This is for things such as plumbing, locks at your property, lost keys or pest infestations. Home emergency cover with CoverBuilder covers:

  • Cover for damage to plumbing and drainage
  • Water supply system failure (including blocked toilets and external drains within the boundaries of the property)
  • Electricity failure
  • Gas leaks
  • Cover for internal gas and water supplies
  • Cover for damage or failure of external locks, doors or windows
  • Lost key replacement
  • Failure or breakdown of your primary heating system
  • Contribution to the cost of alternative heating if primary system cannot be fixed within 6 hours
  • Clearance of pest infestations that are directly affecting your living space

Home emergency cover is not generally included as standard on your home insurance policy. However, it is generally available as an optional extra cover with prices being very affordable. Many people, therefore, choose to bolt-on this cover to their home insurance policy.

Home Emergency Cover


When was my home built?

Insurers will ask you to complete their question set honestly and to the best of your knowledge. Efforts should be made to find out the exact year your property was built. However, if this cannot be found then many insurers will work with the closest approximate date you can find. It is important however that this is flagged with the company you intend to use before you submit the policy. Each insurer can have different terms and conditions.

Age of property is a rating factor for the majority of insurers. It does need to be reported accurately to avoid any issues of non-disclosure which could lead to claims being denied. Many customers in the past did not have an exact build date and we were still able to offer them a home insurance quote.

Click here to learn how to calculate your property age.


How home insurance claims work

CoverBuilder home insurance is designed to be as straightforward and clear as possible, with no hidden charges. We realise that any form of damage at your property can be very distressing so we have made making a claim on your home insurance as simple as possible.