Insurance for an unoccupied house after the death of policyholder

no cancellation fee

When someone dies and leaves behind a property, responsibility for that property will usually fall with the person who is dealing with the estate – the executor. The executor will be responsible for overseeing the process of probate that the estate will go through.

This process involves administrating any outstanding debts and then dividing money and assets amongst the various beneficiaries. This can be a lengthy legal process, usually taking between 3 and 6 months to complete. A house is likely to be the biggest asset that a person has owned which is where probate home insurance comes into play.

Properties going through probate will often be left unoccupied during this time. This means that many standard insurers will be unable to continue their cover once the property owner has passed away. Therefore, if you are the executor of an estate it is likely that you will need to contact a specialist insurance provider. This will allow you take out a suitable policy and make sure the property is fully covered.


Pay only for the time you need & no cancellation or hidden fees!

If you want to speak to us at any time during your quote, just hit the LiveChat option bottom right and you’ll be connected with an insurance expert to guide you through.

Benefits of an executor insurance policy with CoverBuilder:
  • Cover designed for properties going through probate
  • Building & contents cover, regardless of whether property is occupied
  • Sensitive and professional assistance at what can be a traumatic time
  • No time-consuming telephone referrals
  • Flexibility and understanding from our help centre when dealing with executor queries
  • Instant cover
  • Average call centre answer time under 1 minute


Death of Policyholder

House insurance during probate

It is very important during probate to make sure that a property is fully covered by a home insurance policy. If there were to be an issue with the property, if no insurance is in place then the cost of the repairs will fall to the executor. If the damage caused were down to a big issue such as subsidence,the cost of the repairs can soon creep up. Sometimes this can be many thousands of pounds, an amount for many would not be able to afford.

Empty room at house where policyholder has died

House insurance after death of policyholder

Home insurance is likely to be the last thing on anybody’s mind after someone dies. Yet it is important to think about for the reasons listed above. However, there are a few exceptions to this general rule. If the property was owned in joint names, then it will not need to go through probate. The surviving owner will take over the ownership and insurance policy on the property. If you are in any doubt about the legal status of a property then it is best to contact a qualified solicitor. They will be best able to help you with your queries.

Unoccupied property insurance online quote system

For sale sign outside unoccupied property

Our executor home insurance policies are able to be fully quoted online. This is whether they are for a property that is going to be lived in or one that is due to be unoccupied for a while. This means that quotes can be completed in your own time, getting rid of as much stress as possible from the process.

Our online system has been designed so that the whole quote process is as simple and easy to use as possible.

Simply input your quote information following the step by step prompts. After this, a policy price will be generated for you. However, if you have any trouble using the system our friendly customer service team are just a click away via our online chat facility.

They are available during normal office hours via chat. Outside of these times, you can leave a message and someone will be in touch as soon as we get back to the office.


Useful related links:

Inland Revenue guide to the valuation of a property process

A detailed guide on valuing a house for probate can be found at

Inheritance tax issues

HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs website) offers information and advice on probate and inheritance tax. Their website is

A guide on what to do after someone has passed away

The citizen advice provides advice and a fact sheet on what to do after some has died at

How to apply for probate

You can apply for a grant of representation yourself. Alternatively you can use a solicitor or another person licensed to provide probate services. There are 4 steps to follow, more information about these steps can be found at:

Bereavement Advice

Cruse Bereavement Care is the leading national charity for bereaved people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. They offer support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies.

Cruse Bereavement Care supports people who are bereaved, their website is at:

Solicitors for the elderly

SFE (Solicitors for the Elderly) is an independent, national organisation of lawyers. They provide specialist legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their families and carers. Contains details of expert solicitors experienced in probate