Protecting Your Contents In a Rental Property

As a tenant, your landlord will usually be responsible for insuring the building in which you live. However, your own contents that you have in the property with you will be your responsibility and you will need to insure them adequately in case of an incident such as break-in or fire. This is where renters or tenants insurance comes in.

Your tenant’s contents insurance will cover the general furniture and belongs that you keep in your home to go about everyday life. These will be covered against all of the standard issues that could cause damage to your property, such as fire, smoke, theft, escape of water or storm damage. When a policy is taken out you should always check the policy wording so that you know exactly what is and isn’t covered.

Benefits of a CoverBuilder renters insurance policy:
  • Full contents cover available – protect your important belongings
  • Avoid paying for cover you don’t need
  • Cover for landlord’s fixtures and fittings
  • Personal possessions cover available for items such as mobile phones
  • Full quote and buy online
  • Average call centre answer time under 1 minute


Chat online with an insurance expert

Often insurance can involve more complex situations and circumstances, therefore we have our insurance experts standing by to help you through a quote. If you have any questions about how to quote for your type of property, personal circumstances or special insurance needs – just chat to us!

Cover for your personal possessions

At CoverBuilder, we also provide the option to include personal possessions cover on your renter’s insurance policy. By selecting this optional cover, items such as mobile phones, laptops or expensive handbags can be covered against damage, loss or theft both within your home and when you are out and about.

Specified personal possessions:

Any valuables that you want cover for that are worth more than £1000 will need to be listed individually on your policy.

Example: a diamond engagement ring worth £1800 would be a specified item. The specified items section doesn’t need to include general furniture such as sofas or beds.

Unspecified personal possessions:

If you want cover for personal items which are worth less than £1000 individually then you can cover them as unspecified personal possessions, under a blanket cover. This category includes items such as mobile phones or tablets. You will not need to duplicate specified items in this section.

Cover for your Landlord’s fixtures and fittings

If it is written into your lease that there are certain parts of the building that you are responsible for (e.g. kitchen units) then you can claim for these under your tenant’s contents insurance policy. This is included as standard within your CoverBuilder tenant’s policy. You will be covered for damage caused by standard insured events such as fire, flood or explosion.

Such cover can provide peace of mind for you as a tenant that your contents insurance will cover your landlord’s fixtures and fittings.

Cover is not provided for damage that is caused by any paying guests at the property, or for any losses that occur after your home has been unoccupied for over 30 consecutive days. The maximum amount that will be paid out for a claim relating to your tenant’s liability is £5000.


Example: A fire has broken out in the kitchen and ruined the kitchen units. In your tenancy agreement, it has been stated that you are responsible for these. Your policy will, therefore, pay out to replace these, as well as any contents of yours that have been damaged.




Tenants contents insurance cover landlords fixtures fittings

What is Tenants Liability Insurance?

This is cover against accidental damage to your landlord’s fixtures, fittings and any contents; within the property that you are liable for under the terms of your tenancy agreement. In the event that you accidentally damage your landlord’s property you have a policy to be able to claim against, up to the value of cover you select.

Learn more about tenants liability insurance here