Understanding a Certificate of Structural Adequacy

If your property has been damaged by subsidence or the less common landslip/heave then it can be difficult to find an insurer. The best way to get insurance after such an event is to have the damage and root cause resolved. This is usually done by underpinning the property.

What is a certificate of structural adequacy?

A Certificate of Structural Adequacy (CSA) is usually issued under the Institution of Structural Engineers (1994) as a result of landslip, heave or subsidence.

When underpinning is carried out, insurers will then look for a Certificate of Structural Adequacy. This confirms the repairs are of a high quality.

What is found on a Certificate of Structural Adequacy

Below we show the common information the certificate contains and what an insurer will be relying on to offer you a premium.

  • Details of the company issuing the certificate
  • The full address of the property where the work was carried out
  • The date of inspection and date of issue of the certificate
  • A summary of the damage experienced
  • The root cause of the damage
  • A summary of the repair works
  • A statement confirming that the affected part of the property is structurally sound
  • A statement confirming limitation of liability of the company issuing the certificate
  • Signature of the person issuing the certificate

Pre 1999 – ‘Certificate of Completion’.

These have less information than the ‘Certificate of Structural Adequacy’. Unfortunately, we cannot insure properties where the underpinning work was only given a Certificate of Completion.

Dedicated home insurance for properties with previous subsidence

When looking to insure a property that has suffered previous movement there are some key things insurance companies will want to know. This is to fully understand your property and work out how much your policy should cost. This is to prevent over and under charging you for your insurance.

  • When did the property suffer subsidence, heave or landslip?
  • What caused the subsidence, heave or landslip?
  • How was the problem rectified?
  • Has there been any reoccurrence?
  • Were you issued any documentation to confirm what repairs were carried out and there have been no issues since?
  • If there was a claim made, what was the value?

Click here to learn more about the types of underpinning and what can be covered under our home insurance

Chat online with an insurance expert

We have our insurance experts standing by to help you with your quote. If you have any questions about how to quote for your type of property, click to chat with us now.