Buildings insurance – Protecting your home up to £1.5million from just £8.14* a month

no cancellation feeThis is the insurance cover that you take out to cover the structural parts of your home. Your buildings will generally be the things that you would leave behind if you were to move home. This can include things such as walls, roof, floors, ceilings plus outbuildings and garages. At CoverBuilder we provide specialist home insurance that can be purchased as building only, contents only or a combination of buildings and contents.

Buildings cover up to £1.5million which allows you to claim for damage to;

  • Roofs
  • Walls
  • Ceilings
  • Floors
  • Doors and windows
  • Fitted kitchens
  • Bathroom suites
  • Built-in cupboards


Buildings Insurance


What does buildings insurance cover?

Buildings insurance will cover the standard perils that you would expect and that can damage your home. This includes;

  • Fire and lightning strike
  • Storm damage
  • Explosion (caused by gas leaks etc)
  • Structural damage caused by subsidence and fallen trees
  • Water damage to your house caused by burst pipes
  • Damage caused to buildings or doors during a break in.
  • Vehicle collisions with the building
  • Vandalism
  • Accidental damage, in case you put your foot through the attic (this is an optional extra)


You should select a suitable rebuild cost to insure your home for, to ensure you are fully protected. This is the amount that it would cost to completely rebuild your house if it was destroyed and not the market value that it would be sold for (because market value takes into account the value of the land on which the building sits). If you are not sure of the rebuild costs of your property you could ask local surveyor for help. If this is not possible then our CoverBuilder quote system has a built in rebuild calculator to help you calculate your rebuild cost.


Do you have to have building insurance?

If you take out a mortgage to buy a home, your mortgage provider will usually require you to have a buildings insurance policy in place. This means that the loan they have provided to you will be protected in the event of the property being damaged in some way. If you are a tenant in a property then you will not need buildings insurance as this will be your landlord’s responsibility – you can only insure a property that you are the legal owner of. Equally, if you own a leasehold property it is generally the responsibility of the freeholder to insure the buildings, though it is worth checking the terms of your individual lease.

Although you don’t need buildings insurance for your home if you are not the legal owner, you might want to consider taking out a contents insurance policy to protect your belongings.

Buildings insurance covers worst-case scenarios

Badly damaged house


Your buildings insurance is there to ensure that if the worst happens and your home is severely damaged, you will be able to afford to rebuild it to the same standard as it was before the incident occurred.  This means that not only will your buildings insurance cover small incidents that happen which would affect your monthly budget but more importantly, it is also designed to cover a total loss at your property where the entire building is destroyed.


House Insurance Cost

Most people are generally focused on finding the cheapest deal they can and can often overlook the cover that they actually get for the price they are paying. We recommend asking some simple questions when searching for House Insurance. Sometimes focusing solely on the house insurance cost is not the best method for finding the best deal, try using a house insurance calculator. This is a simple tool to add up each of the areas of your home and contents you want to cover.

  • Is this right insurance policy for me?
  • Does it meet my specific needs?
  • Would I be able to claim for the things I care about or can’t afford to buy and replace myself?


Building Accidental Damage Cover

Buildings insurance with accidental damage


Accidental Damage cover can also be taken out to protect your buildings. This would cover you for situations such as a football being kicked through your living room window or accidentally putting your foot through the ceiling when you’re up in the attic. However, issues that are deemed to be caused by general wear and tear will not be covered – it has to be damage that can be confirmed as having happened in one insured incident. Accidental Damage cover is not included as standard in home insurance policies but can be selected as an extra element of your CoverBuilder Buildings policy.

Foot through ceiling covered by accidental damage


Does buildings insurance cover roof repairs?

Although buildings insurance is not designed to cover any damage that is deemed to have been caused gradually through general wear and tear, damage to your roof would be covered under your policy. This could include scenarios such as a severe storm that rips tiles from your roof or damage to your flat roof as a result of something falling on it. CoverBuilder is able to cover a range of roof materials that many standard insurers may not be able to consider.


Does buildings insurance cover damp?

Generally speaking, buildings insurance will not cover you for any problems with damp that you experience at your property since this is seen to be a gradually increasing problem and not something that can be attributed to one insurable incident. The only exception to this is if a particular event, for example, a heavy storm, can be seen to have caused the damp. In this situation, the damage would likely be covered by your insurance policy.


Buildings insurance subsidence

Crack in wall of building

If your property is affected by subsidence then the repair bills this causes can be incredibly costly. This is where buildings insurance can help you out, since subsidence is one of the risks that would be covered under your buildings insurance policy. Subsidence is an issue that is best controlled by quick action – meaning that as soon as any suspicious cracks or movements start to appear, you should alter your insurance company as soon as possible. They may be able to carry out preventative works which will minimise any future damage that could occur at the property.


Buildings insurance for unoccupied property

Unoccupied properties are seen as higher risk for insurers due to the increased likelihood of an attack from vandals or thieves and the decreased monitoring and observation of the property. This means that some mainstream insurers choose not to provide cover for unoccupied properties but luckily specialists such as CoverBuilder are able to offer comprehensive building insurance for unoccupied properties. This leaves owners reassured that even when they are not there, their property will not be waiting to leave them with a hefty repair bill.


Buildings insurance for flats

Buildings insurance for block of flats

Responsibility for insuring a flat will generally lie with the freeholder, so if you own a leasehold flat it is likely that you are already paying some form of contribution for this. You are only able to obtain buildings insurance for a property that you are legally responsible for and in many cases being a leaseholder means that generally, you will not have this responsibility. Contents insurance should always be obtained, even if you are in rented accommodation as this will protect your personal items within the flat. Freeholders will generally take out a block policy to cover all of the flats that are included within a building.


Does building insurance cover water damage?

Buildings insurance is designed to offer cover for water damage to properties, whether the cause of that damage is heavy rainfall or a burst water pipe. Water damage claims can generally be split into two categories – escape of water and flood. Flood damage is generally deemed as being caused by an outside source, so surface water from a blocked drain or a river that has burst its banks and caused damaged would fall into this category. Escape of water relates to water damage that has occurred as the result of an internal source such as a broken pipe or leaking dishwasher. Both of these risks are covered under buildings insurance, subject to the individual claim scenario.


Buildings insurance with fire damage

Fire damaged building

House fires can be extremely dangerous as well as causing extensive and expensive damage. Buildings insurance is designed to provide homeowners with peace of mind that if a fire were to occur at their property, they would have somewhere to turn. A buildings insurance policy will pay out in the event of a house fire to return the building to its original condition before the fire took hold. It is for this reason that having a suitable buildings insurance policy in place is often a stipulation of gaining a mortgage.


Buildings insurance calculator for rebuilding costs

Collapsed roof of building

It is obviously very important to have buildings insurance in place for the reasons stated above. Almost as important is ensuring that the amount your buildings are insured for would be adequate to rebuild the property in full should it be completely destroyed. There are a number of different ways that you can check the rebuild cost of your house if you are not sure what this figure should be – more information on property rebuild costs can be found here.


How much buildings insurance do I need?

You should always try to insure your property with an accurate rebuild cost for a number of reasons. If you insure it for too high a value then it is likely then you will be paying more for your premium each month than you need to. If you insure for too low a value then if your property is severely damaged you may find that this is not fully covered by your insurance policy. Many insurers use a built-in rebuild cost calculator as part of their quotes but this cannot be used for listed buildings or properties that are made from unusual construction materials.


Buildings insurance with home emergency cover

Home emergency cover is an additional element of cover that you can choose to add on to your buildings insurance policy. This cover can help you in the event of an incident at your home that requires emergency attention from a plumber or other professional tradesman. Home emergency will cover you for the callout costs of such professionals and ensure that you are always able to obtain help as soon as possible, no matter the time of night or day.


Buildings insurance for renovation project

bathroom at uninhabited property

Renovating your property can be a very exciting time but there are a number of considerations that need to be taken into account. If you are having renovations carried out at your property then you will want to check that your existing structure will still be protected against any damage that could befall it during the course of the works. On top of this, renovation works at a property could lead to some standard insurers being reluctant to continue their cover. In this situation, it is vital you source alternative cover to make sure your buildings are fully insured. You should also check that your rebuild cost will be high enough to cover the property in full once the renovations are complete.


Buildings insurance for second home

If you are in the fortunate position of owning a second home then this will potentially be left unoccupied for certain periods of time while you are not there. This, therefore, makes your property susceptible to the same risks as an unoccupied property would be, causing the same issues when it comes to insurance.


Buildings insurance no cancellation fee

As part of our cancellation fee promise, you will never pay a cancellation fee for your policy, no matter when you choose to cancel. This means that if you need to take out a buildings insurance policy for a property that you are planning to sell in the near future, you can be confident of the fact that you will only ever pay for the cover that you use.


Buildings insurance for listed buildings

large listed building

If you are lucky enough to own a listed building then you will know how important it is to ensure that your building is adequately protected with a suitable buildings insurance policy. Rebuild costs for listed buildings can often be much higher than they would be for an equivalent new build, as the property may require specialist materials and construction methods to rebuild it to its original state.


Who is responsible for buildings insurance on a shared ownership property?

There are two sections to answer this question.

  1. Buildings insurance will be the responsibility of the Freeholder, this tends to be the housing association.  A common practice is for the cost of the buildings cover to be included in the service charges.
  2. Contents only insurance, is the responsibility of the tenants living in the property, this cover is designed to protect your valuables and personal furniture.




*£8.14 monthly premium is based on buildings only cover quotation and no additional covers selected. This is for a mid-terraced, up to five bedroom property in Bournemouth where two retired people reside.This includes a £500 voluntary buildings excess and rebuild cost of £50,000.  This price was valid at 2nd November 2017.