Insurance for properties undergoing building works or renovation

Whether you are having large-scale building works or smaller renovation work done, we can cover a wide variety of scenarios. When you quote with CoverBuilder we’ll look at your specific scenario and return cover and a premium based on your needs. All our quotes are 100% online with instant decisions on price.




Renovation works at the property whilst you continue living there

  • Accidental damage cover available as long as damage not connected to works accident (see below)
  • Full cover available and not restricted to Fire, Lightening, Explosion, Aircraft (FLEA)
  • Theft cover provided if there is a sign of forced or violent entry
  • 2 million public liability cover included as standard
  • Cover for properties having up to £200,000 of building works
  • Acceptance of a wide range of projects including extensions, loft conversion and structural work.
  • 100% online quote with an instant decision and premium tailored to your situation.


Renovation works at the property and the property is unoccupied

  • FLEA cover available for duration of renovations, up to work value of £200,000
  • Theft cover provided as a result of forced or violent entry
  • Wide acceptance of projects including extensions, loft conversions and structural work.
  • 2 million public liability cover included as standard
  • Allowance for properties left unoccupied long-term
  • The policy can be converted to standard occupied policy and pro-rata refund issued when works are completed

Flexible policy term – Cancel at any time!

Many of our customers who take out cover for an empty property only need short-term cover. Therefore with CoverBuilder you can cancel at any time with no cancellation costs. You simply call us and we’ll pro-rata your premium and refund any overpaid premium to you regardless if you pay monthly or in full. Learn more about our cancellation promise.

Chat online with an insurance expert

Often insurance can involve more complex situations and circumstances, therefore we have our insurance experts standing by to help you through a quote.


Step ladder and paint in property being renovated


Accidental damage cover option

If you are to remain living at the property throughout the works, you are able to select the Accidental Damage optional cover during the quote to protect your property and contents whilst building works are on-going.

Examples of when you could and couldn’t claim.

COULD: You have works on-going at the property to remodel your kitchen, you spill red wine on a front room cream carpet, you can claim for the carpet damage.

COULD NOT: A workman drops tools onto your kitchen work surface and cracks it. This would need to be claimed via the 3rd party trade policy the builders have in place, through the building company.


Home Insurance During Building Work


What type of building work is covered?

  • Extensions to property
  • Loft Conversions & Extensions
  • Whole house rewire
  • Replumbing
  • Replastering
  • Full kitchen replacements
  • Bathroom replacements
  • Re-roofing
  • Removing interior walls
  • Wall rendering
  • Redecoration
  • Driveway/Garden landscaping
  • Outbuilding conversion
  • Conservatories
  • and more…

Plumber installing sink in renovation property


Do I need building works insurance?

Even with the greatest level of planning and care, renovations or building works at your property do increase the chance of damage occurring. Your insurer will, therefore, need full details of the confirmed or tentative work which will be carried out. This allows the insurer to review the cost of your policy accordingly as well as ensuring that they are able to provide cover. With many ‘standard’ policies your cover is reduced to the very basic level of risks such a Fire, lightening, Explosion, Earthquake and Aircraft. At CoverBuilder we continue to be able to cover the property in full and the contents within, even during building works.

levelling concrete at property under construction


What information do I need when quoting for my insurance?

  1. The value of works. How much are you planning to spend on the refurbishment?
  2. Nature of construction and refurbishment. What works are being planned e.g. painting and decorating or a double-storey extension?
  3. What impact will the construction and refurbishment have on the size of the property?
  4. Timescale. When is the work due to start and finish?
  5. Contractors and tradespeople. Will a professional complete the work or are you planning to conduct the work yourself?
  6. Contract. Do you have a physical agreement in place with your contractor?
  7. Public liability insurance. Do your contractors have public liability insurance?
  8. Planning permission. Do you have the necessary planning consent for building works?

Painter with roller in his hand

When should I inform my insurer of building works?

You need to inform your insurer of any changes you make to your property, even if they are simply cosmetic alterations. This includes tasks as minor as  painting and any kitchen/bathroom replacement that takes place.

It is particularly important that you inform your home insurer of any structural, electrical or plumbing alterations to the property, to ensure the validity of your home insurance policy in the event of damage during this time

I’m not going to be living at the property during the building works. Does my insurer need to know?

Generally, a household insurance policy will only provide cover for a property that is not being lived in for up to 30 consecutive days. If you are going to be moving out of your property for a longer period of time during your building works then you will need to inform your insurer. Based on this they can either alter your policy or advise you to replace it with more suitable specialist cover Failure to notify your insurer of a property being unoccupied could result in you running into difficulties should a claim be made.