Home Insurance for BISF homes
At CoverBuilder, we specialise in providing home insurance for customers with a BISF house. Our policies are designed with a deep knowledge and understanding of the construction methods and quirks of a BISF home. This, therefore, means if there is a need to claim for structural damage then the process is more straightforward.
You can quote 100% online for your BISF property. Simply select the ‘Steel’ build type during the quote and get an instant price and buy online.
As well as our standard policy benefits our BISF cover offers;
- Buildings and/or Contents cover options
- Specialist cover for BISF property construction methods
- Competitive premiums
- Standard excesses apply
- Full online quote, purchase and policy management
- Optional Home Emergency Cover
- Average call centre answer time under 1 minute
Need a little help quoting?
We have insurance experts ready to help if you want to ask a question. Our average call answering is under 1 minute so give us a call on 0333 358 3359. Alternatively, you can chat with us online via our livechat option (bottom right).
MORE ABOUT BISF PROPERTY INSURANCE
BIFS houses are steel framed houses built by the British Iron and Steel Federation from 1946. They built around 50,000 homes across the country. These were largely in pairs although there are also some terraces.
BISF house design
The BISF house is a prefabricated steel design originally built with a shallow pitched asbestos roof, panelling to the upper level and render to the ground level. Between the metal frames are timber struts and insulation with an inner plasterboard or hardboard. These houses originally had a design life of between ten and twenty years, although most have outlived this.
BISF houses are often confused with other prefabricated houses built in the same post-war era. Many make the incorrect assumption that BISF Houses are temporary structures. However, you can expect these properties to have a similar lifespan to that of a traditional brick built house. Concerns over the lifespan is, therefore, another reason that mortgage companies place more stringent conditions when offering on these properties.
BISF properties can face specific issues such as:
- Roofing contains asbestos which is extremely hazardous to health if disrupted.
- The structure can suffer deterioration at the base of the steel structure and window surrounds. However, rooms with humidity such as bathrooms and kitchens can also cause weakness.
- Insulation can result in condensation. However, rectifying this involves accessing neighbouring properties and can prove difficult.
Home Insurance for specialist property builds
We have a specialist policy to match your needs for a variety of construction types such as